Many Georgians are facing the aftermath of Hurricane Irma. While most of our state was spared the extensive house damage and flooding, many homeowners experienced the effects of the high winds in their yard. Your landscape may be covered with broken tree limbs, fallen trees and scattered debris. While you may be anxious to clean up the mess due to its poor appearance, it is important to know the safety risks of a post-storm clean up and why you may want a lawn care expert to handle it.
Once a major storm subsides, you can follow these safety precautions as you conduct your yard cleanup:
- Access the Damage Carefully: Walk around your entire property. Before you start picking up branches or bagging debris, take pictures of the damage first (in case you need it for insurance documentation). Never touch a power line that may be dangling or touching a tree)
- Wear Protective Gear: It’s best to wear gloves and even protective eyewear when tackling storm clean up in your yard so that you avoid unsuspecting sharp objects or other causes of injury.
- Take Time to Know Your Tools: You may be anxious to pick up the chainsaw and get to work after a storm. However, be patient enough to follow the instruction manual first and work at a steady pace. It may take weeks or months to get your yard back in shape.
- Prune Damaged Trees: If you don’t take care of a damaged tree correctly, you may leave it vulnerable to disease and insects. Make sure you know how to properly trim or prune trees with broken branches.
- Replace Trees, Plants and Flowers: You may have areas of your landscape that are unsalvageable. This often warrants a trip to the local nursery to buy more. Make sure to consult with an expert to ensure you are buying the appropriate sized plant or tree as well as the variety that will do well in the specific area of your lawn. Mulch or other groundcover will likely need to be replaced too.
- Consider Hiring an Expert: If your storm damage is too overwhelming to do yourself, or if you simply aren’t sure how to properly repair the tree injuries, call an expert. A landscaping professional will understand how to properly clean your yard as well as rebuild the landscape design for optimal appeal.
Need a one time yard cleanup after Storm Irma? Turn to Pannone’s Lawn Pros & Landscaping. We offer affordable rates on a variety of lawn care services! We’d love to revive your lawn after storm damage.
Posted on behalf of
1444 Buford Hwy
Cumming, GA 30041
Phone: (678) 294-0351
Monday - Saturday 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM